How to make Baked Kale Chips
When we made these tasty kale chips for the first time for family and friends, they had no idea the pretty orange glow on the chips was from the super anti-inflammatory and blood sugar-stabilizing spice turmeric! Turmeric is a spice found in curry and a cousin to ginger. It contains a compound called curcumin which gives turmeric its bright yellow-orange color. There is only about 3% of curcumin in pure turmeric powder and its bioavailability is considered low. However, when turmeric is consumed with black pepper (piperine), the absorption of curcumin is enhanced by 2000%. Rest assured, black pepper is on this recipe’s ingredient list.
Turmeric is known as a natural painkiller. Post-op patients may take turmeric to speed up wound healing. It also has antimicrobial and immune-boosting capabilities that can help individuals recover more quickly after surgery. Turmeric antimicrobial properties help promote gut health by preventing bacterial infections. It also aids in digestion and prevents bloating.
Kale chips are a healthy alternative to store-bought fried corn and potato chips. Kale is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family. Its relatives are broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts. Kale is packed with nutrients like vitamins C, K, and E that can help promote healthy cholesterol levels. Happy Healthy Chip Eating!
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the kale (squeeze with paper towels to drain excess water). Carefully remove the leaves from the thick inner stem and tear into pieces.
- Place kale in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss well.
- Spread kale leaves out on the baking sheet and sprinkle with turmeric, sea salt, black pepper, garlic and onion powder.
- Bake on middle rack until kale is crispy with lightly browned edges (approximately 15 minutes).