How to make Mama’s Chicken Chili
A healthy option to your traditional ground beef chili recipe. You can’t beat the convenience of rotisserie chicken, especially on a busy weeknight. Chicken is a heart-healthy alternative to beef. If you want to make this a completely plant-based meal, the beans provide plenty of satisfying fiber and protein. Toss the ingredients into your slow cooker and within a few hours, a delicious and nutritious meal is ready to be served! Our family tops Mama’s Chicken Chili off with chopped avocado, freshly grated cheddar cheese, and sweet cornbread. Enjoy!
- 1-2 rotisserie chickens (breast white meat only), shredded
- 1 (15.5 oz) can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 oz) can red beans drained and rinsed
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 (24 oz) jars tomato sauce-your choice
- 1 packet low-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped, garnish, optional
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, to taste
- Remove skin and pull white meat from rotisserie chicken.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Hold the avocado and cheese.
- Cook chili for at least 3 hours on medium-low heat. Stir as needed.
- Top each bowl with sliced avocado, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and a side of cornbread.