How to make Cauliflower Mashers
Cauliflower mashers are a perfect substitute for mashed potatoes and require no peeling! It’s a great way to sneak a power-packed vegetable onto your child’s plates. This cruciferous vegetable is an excellent source of antioxidants like vitamins B6, C, and K. Its fiber and choline content may help improve our heart and brain health. Cauliflower also contains the cancer-fighting phytochemical, sulforaphane. Studies increasingly show that sulforaphane may alter estrogen metabolism and protect the body against estrogen-mediated cell damage associated with the development of cancer. We enjoy our cauliflower mashers by themselves or topped with maple-glazed Brussels sprouts. They also pair perfectly with a lean protein like salmon or chicken. Nutritious and oh so delicious!
6 (1/2 cup) servings
- 1 medium cauliflower, washed and quartered (without stem)
- 1 ½ c vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium pot, add cauliflower and veggie broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower temperature to medium heat and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Toss cauliflower periodically to prevent browning.
- Remove pot from the heat. Add olive oil, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Mash by hand or blend until smooth with an immersion blender.
- Place cauliflower mashers in a serving bowl and enjoy.