How to make Healthy Berry French Toast
French toast is an easy make-ahead breakfast at any time of the year. We make the batter the night before and allow the bread to soak up the honey and vanilla flavors. We love the added fiber that comes from the berries, flax meal, and chia seeds. They make this a healthy and guilt-free breakfast.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoon flax meal
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 slices whole-grain Italian bread
- ½ c fresh strawberries, sliced
- ½ c fresh blueberries
- 100% real maple syrup, to taste
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in medium bowl. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Preheat griddle on medium and generously coat with cooking spray.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter and coat each side evenly.
- Place the bread on griddle and cook until each side is golden brown. Spray griddle with cooking spray as needed.
- Top with fruit, drizzle with maple syrup and serve.