How to make Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This healthy chicken tortilla soup recipe couldn’t be easier. We’ve taken our favorite chicken tortilla soup recipe and decreased the fat and sodium content without sacrificing its delicious flavor. Add one ripe avocado if you like a creamier soup. You’ll get a thicker consistency without the added unhealthy fat and sodium. To increase this recipes protein and fiber content, we add a can of black beans. Black beans, vegetable broth, and vegan cheese are great swaps for making this a completely plant-based meal. This soup tastes even better the next day. I would imagine it freezes well, but it never lasts longer than a day in our house. Time to get your chicken tortilla soup on!
- 2 (32 oz.) boxes chicken broth
- 2 c cooked chicken, shredded
- 4 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, diced
- ½ c sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons green chiles (mild), diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper, ground, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 c cheddar cheese + ¼ c for garnish, freshly grated
- 1 ripe avocado (optional)
- sour cream, to taste (optional)
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- tortilla strips or chips, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a soup pot or slow cooker. Hold the sour cream, cheese (for garnish), cilantro, and tortilla strips.
- Cover and cook on low 2-4 hours (longer is better especially if using a slow cooker).
- Stir in the cheddar cheese. Cook until cheese is evenly melted into the soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream, cheese, cilantro, and tortilla strips.
- For a thicker soup, place tortillas strips or chips in the bowl before adding soup. Enjoy!