How to make Oven Roasted Balsamic Vinegar Chickpeas
If you’re a fan of salt and vinegar flavored snacks you’re going to love these chickpeas. Midway through the first bite, you’ll experience a sweet and tangy pop of flavor. The great thing about balsamic vinegar is that it infuses its flavors quickly. These are ready to slide into the oven after an hour of marinating. If you have more time to marinate, go for it! The chickpeas will be even more flavorful.
Balsamic vinegar is the product of concentrated and fermented grape juice stored in wooden barrels for a minimum of 12 years. The acetic acid found in balsamic vinegar contains strains of probiotics that may improve digestion (gut health) and boost your immune system. Like wine, balsamic vinegar contains flavonoids-also known as antioxidants, which can protect the health of your heart and brain. Balsamic vinegar is also known to help control blood sugar levels when eaten with a meal.
This nutrient-dense snack is a protein powerhouse! Chickpeas are a great source of other nutrients like fiber, B-vitamins, calcium, and iron. Fiber helps stabilize blood sugar and cholesterol levels. The iron and calcium content found in chickpeas is essential for keeping your bones strong. Serve them alone or as a side dish. If you have any leftovers, keep them in the fridge for up to three days and reheat if desired. Enjoy!
4 (1/2 c)
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained, and air-dried
- ½ c balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place air-dried chickpeas in a bowl.
- Pour balsamic vinegar over chickpeas and cover.
- Refrigerate chickpeas for at least an hour. Give the chickpea bowl a good shake every 15 minutes to ensure all peas are evenly coated.
- Take the chickpeas out of the fridge and remove cover.
- Set oven temp to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with olive oil.
- Drain excess vinegar from the chickpeas.
- Spoon chickpeas onto baking sheet.
- Season with salt, pepper, turmeric, onion, and garlic powder.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes depending on your crispy preference. Allow to cool. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.