How to make Quinoa Black Bean Burger
What’s there not to love about quinoa? It’s easy to make and full of nutrients. Quinoa is a great source of protein, iron, and fiber, which is why we incorporated it into our first meatless burger. The combination of quinoa and black beans gives this recipe its burger-like texture. The added seasonings create layers of flavor that will wow your taste buds. In fact, all 5 of my kids love these burgers and for me, that’s a huge accomplishment.
Serve these healthy quinoa black bean burgers over greens or on a whole grain bun. Either way, topping them off with sliced avocado and tomato drizzled with balsamic glaze is a must!
- 1 ½ c quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ tablespoons onion, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, garlic seasoned
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki marinade
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (reserve ½ tbsp for grill pan)
- 1 avocado, sliced, garnish
- 1 tomato, sliced, garnish
- 2 ½ c greens, garnish
- Mash the black beans until they form a paste.
- In a medium bowl, combine the quinoa, onion, cilantro, garlic seasoning, breadcrumbs, teriyaki marinade, cumin, hot sauce, and olive oil.
- Add the black bean paste to the quinoa mixture.
- Form 5 quinoa black bean patties.
- Lightly coat a grill pan with olive oil.
- Cook patties for approximately 1-2 minutes per side on medium-high heat.