How to make Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Soup
When it comes to eating healthy, it’s important not to underestimate the nutritious power of cauliflower. This cruciferous vegetable is an excellent source of antioxidants like vitamins B6, C, and K. Its fiber and choline content may help improve your heart and brain health. Cauliflower also contains the cancer-fighting phytochemical, sulforaphane. Studies increasingly show that sulforaphane may alter estrogen metabolism and protect the body against estrogen-mediated cell damage associated with the development of cancer. With more studies like these, cauliflower will surely climb to the top of the superfood list.
This cauliflower soup recipe is nutritiously easy. The apples and coconut milk provide just the right amount of sweetness. It goes well with any sandwich or salad; I often serve it as a meal by itself with a slice of whole-grain crostini.
Whether you prefer to eat your cauliflower raw, mashed, steamed, or roasted, you are consuming a powerhouse vegetable with an array of nutritious benefits. Cauliflower’s cruciferous family also includes broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, kale, collards, broccoli sprouts, broccoli raab, kohlrabi, mustard, turnip, radish, rocket, and watercress.
Time to get your vegan roasted cauliflower soup on!
*This recipe was adapted from the Nittany Lion Inn (Whiskers Pub) in State College, PA.
14 servings / 8 ounces
- 2 heads of cauliflower, cleaned and dried
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 apples (honey crisp), peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1-quart vegetable stock
- cilantro sprigs, garnish
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Chop cauliflower and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place the cauliflower pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- In a stock pot place cauliflower, vegetable stock, coconut milk, and sliced apples.
- Bring them to a boil and simmer until cauliflower and apples are soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and purée.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with olive oil and cilantro.