How to make Zucchini Nachos Our Dairy-Free Version
Since I first posted this recipe back in 2015, one of our daughters has been diagnosed with lactose intolerance. That makes three out seven who are dairy-free in our house. This being zucchini season, I decided to make a few modifications to a summer recipe we love and now, we can all enjoy.
Crumbled tofu takes the place of sour cream. Tofu provides additional protein, contains zero cholesterol, and it’s low in sodium. Tofu is easy to work with and it absorbs the flavors that are added to it. The other dairy containing ingredient in our original recipe is cheddar cheese. Replacing it with a dairy-free variety goes unnoticed by those that are lucky enough to tolerate lactose.
Zucchini contains an abundant amount of nutrition. It is high in fiber and rich in calcium, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and vitamin C. Zucchini is also a good source of iron, folate, zinc, vitamin A, E, and B6. Our favorite summer squash contains anti-inflammatory phytonutrients which help promote a high functioning and disease-fighting immune system.
It took me a few tries to get the zucchini crispy enough to come close to resembling chips. Zucchini naturally contains a good amount of water. Allowing the slices to dry out before grilling is key. Don’t get discouraged if your zucchini turns out too tender. Those batches make an incredibly delicious side dish the entire family will love. Bonus: these delicious nachos travel to summer picnics perfectly.
- 3 small or 2 large zucchinis, cleaned and dried
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- dairy-free shredded cheddar, to taste
- ¾ c black beans, rinsed and dried
- ¾ c corn, cooked (optional)
- ½ c green onion (optional)
- ¾ c vine ripe tomato, diced
- ¼ c crumbled tofu
- Slice zucchini into 1/8 inch thick rounds.
- Place slices on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Lightly sprinkle both sides of zucchini slices with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Spray lightly with olive oil. Grill zucchini until tender and crisp on each side, about 2-3 minutes.
- Place the zucchini slices on a platter, layer with toppings and crumbled tofu.
- (Optional) *If you prefer to have melted cheese, sprinkle the zucchini slices with dairy-free cheddar just before they are removed from the grill.